Tuesday 16 December 2014

5th Day of Blogmas Vol 2: Most Awesome New Christmas Songs













Hello readers! I'm back once more with another entry of Blogmas and a whole new round of pre Christmas excitement. Before we start, I highly suggest you all go and top up the money on your iTunes accounts, because I'm going to give your festive Christmas playlists a 2014 makeover. Throughout this year's Blogmas, I've tried especially hard to not repeat any posts from last year. In 2013, I may or may not have had a post called 'Ideal Christmas Playlist', but hey, at least I went to the effort of altering the title. So now the little intro and clarification is totally over with, let's get into it . . .

Ariana Grande, 'Santa Tell Me'


Back with another Christmas single is Ariana Grande, with her new song 'Santa Tell Me'. Sure, it's more of a pop track than a traditional Christmas carol, but it's got the word 'Santa' in the title, so A for effort. Also, it just so happens to be super fun and catchy, and jam packed with Yuletide references. It gets you into the festive spirit, and would definitely be a perfect addition to any Christmas playlist you've currently got going on. I think by now we've all worked out that Ariana always kills it with the vocals, and she's definitely no novice in the holiday-themed music department, so you've got to know you're in for a treat. If you'd like some visuals to go along with your audio, go and check out the Christmasy music video that goes along with it. 














Idina Menzel feat. Michael Bublé, 'Baby It's Cold Outside'


We're all familiar with this Christmas classic, so how could it not sound amazing when covered by Broadway legend and voice of Frozen's Elsa Idina Menzel (aka, Adele Dazeem) and internationally acclaimed recording artist Michael Bublé? I guess I could spend ages waffling on and trying to sell the awesomeness of the track to you, however I really don't feel that's necessary. Let's face it, the subheading sells itself. Do you want to listen to a vocally perfect rendition of one of your favourite festive songs? I know, it's a tough one, right? If you're awesome and understand heavy sarcasm, then I know you'll make the right decision.












Pentatonix, 'Winter Wonderland/Don't Worry Be Happy'


Everybody loves a bit of acapella pop, and it doesn't get much better than Pentatonix. This crazy talented quintet have released their own LP Christmas Album for 2014 entitled 'That's Christmas to Me', and yeah, of course you can download the entire thing, but my absolute favourite is their mashed up rendition of 'Winter Wonderland'. It definitely gives off some awesome festive vibes, and guest star Tori Kelly makes the vocals sound all kinds of awesome. I guess I'm just a fan of harmonies, but there's no doubting you'll appreciate how cool this cover is. In fact, I bet you'll appreciate it so much that you'll just have to drop everything you're doing and give it a listen, right now












She & Him, 'God Only Knows'


Okay, so this isn't a Christmas song in the traditional sense (or you know, in any sense), but ever since it was used in the classic 2001 Holiday Rom-Com 'Love Actually', it's kind of become one by association. You might recall that last year I mentioned Zooey Deschanel's band 'She & Him'? Well they're once again gracing my blog, and this time for their cover of Beach Boys track 'God Only Knows'. How exactly did it come to my attention? I'd like to say I'm just a genius (which of course I am), but unfortunately, it had to be on the recent Christmas episode of 'New Girl' for it to be on my radar. Nonetheless, this cover is pretty awesome, and has had heaps of success on the interweb. Therefore, this totally needs to have a spot on your iTunes, or at the very least, deserves a listen.














Sam Smith, 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'


Sam Smith definitely wouldn't have made it onto the list this time last year, because nobody knew who he was. Throughout 2014, the British singer shot to popularity so much so that I've allowed him to grace my blog (that generosity). 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' really is a Yuletide classic, and Sam's more than proved himself capable of tackling a ballad. So of course, his cover just has to be awesome, there's really no other option. I don't know what it is about Christmas music, but no matter the tempo or mood, all the songs just make you feel super pleasant and excited. Of course Sam's cover provides all of this in spades, and vocally, he totally nails it. If you're not lured yet, I don't know what's wrong with you, so just give it a go and consider it for your Christmas playlist.












Fifth Harmony, 'All I Want for Christmas is You'


Now I'm not normally the biggest fan of reality show contestants, but this X Factor formed group I guess are my exception - well at least with this song. Doing one of the most covered Mariah Carey Christmas classics is no easy feat, however these 5 girls manage to do it. Sometimes with groups, it's obvious they rely on one another because they aren't talented enough to make it on their own (harsh, but true), however this is certainly not the case with 'Fifth Harmony'. Everyone kills their solo parts (which occur quite frequently), and the bit of harmony work they manage to incorporate is spot on. Plus, I just find the song is the ultimate Christmas track and always puts me in a good mood, so that's definitely a bonus. Don't believe that it lives up to the original? Listen to it and decide for yourself











So that's now the end of my super festive song appreciation list. Fingers crossed you've got some Playlist inspiration, or at least weren't totally repulsed by any of my suggestions. Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment