Sunday 24 May 2015

'Pitch Perfect 2' Review (with GIF's!)











Greetings once more readers! To welcome you all back, I thought that today I would once again take on the role of a movie connoisseur and review the new, highly anticipated 'Pitch Perfect' sequel which has been 3 years in the making. Was it worth waiting for? Did it in any way live up to the first one? You'll have to continue reading on to get all the answers you're dying to know.











Okay, okay, I'll put you all out of your misery. Have no fear 'Pitch Perfect' fans, the second film in no way, shape or form comes close to letting the franchise down! I have to say, I was of course a tad dubious considering sequels have a terrible reputation, but I honestly had nothing to worry about. In fact, I still haven't made my mind up as to which film I prefer, so that only goes to show how neck and neck the quality of the films is. It managed to be original while still capturing the awesomeness of the first movie, and was super entertaining and funny. I don't know about you, but to me, that sounds like the perfect recipe for any sequel.











The movie begins as we find that Beca (Anna Kendrick) and the original Barden Bellas are now seniors, and only have one more year together before they graduate. Following on from their success in the competitive world of a capella, the girls get the opportunity to perform for the president and his wife at the John F Kennedy performing arts centre. However, things go significantly awry when Australian Bella Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) has a wardrobe malfunction and accidentally gives the president a better view of down under than he was bargaining for.












As a result, the Bellas are then suspended by politically incorrect, terribly inappropriate hosts Gail (Elizabeth Banks) and John (John Michael Higgins), and prohibited from continuing their national tour. Controversially, a new German rival a cappella group 'Das Sound Machine' led by highly competitive captains Kommissar (Birgitte Hjort Sørensen) and Pieter (Flula Borg) take their place.











In order to compete again and be reinstated, three time senior Chloe (Brittany Snow) makes it her mission to ensure that the Bellas win the World A capalla Championships, which will indeed be a difficult feat, considering that no American team has ever won before.











Complications begin to emerge as Beca gets an internship at recording studio 'Residual Heat', a fact that she has only confided in her boyfriend Jesse (Skylar Astin), while the team introduce new Freshman Emily (Hailee Steinfeld) into the group. Morale begins to drop, as Chloe, Fat Amy, Cynthia-Rose (Ester Dean), Stacie (Alexis Knapp), Lilly (Hana Mae Lee), Jessica (Kelley Jakle), Ashley (Shelley Regner) and Guatemalan exchange student Flo (Chrissie Fit) are all faced with the prospect of where to go after college.











Several other big plot developments occur, including a blossoming relationship between Emily and amateur magician Benji (Ben Platt), a reunion with former Bellas captain Aubrey (Anna Camp), as well as an epic romance between Fat Amy and Bumper (Adam DeVine).

There's plenty more where this came from, however no more spoilers will be revealed as of yet, so you'll have to check it out in cinemas for yourself to find out more.











As I hinted before, this movie was actually so good. Considering that it was made 3 whole years after the first one, I feel like that break stopped the sequel from feeling too forced, and it was able to just be awesome in its own right. It was super funny, and all the music was fun and catchy, which I guess is really all you can ask for from these films.















I'm not gonna lie, when I went to see the first one in theatres, I didn't actually like it. I was convinced that they were ripping off 'Glee', and therefore refused to enjoy it. However, over time, I've come to realise that they are indeed two separate entities, and that liking 'Pitch Perfect' wouldn't mean I was betraying my Gleekdom. So luckily, coming to see the second one, I was totally open and had no negative preconceptions, which is how I suggest you guys approach it also in order to maximise your enjoyment of the film.











A stand out for me, no doubt about it, would have to be Rebel Wilson (Australia represent!). It was seriously her movie, and she got to say and do pretty much whatever she wanted. All of her lines were comedy gold, and for me, she was totally the best part of the movie. Yes, it's a big call, but I'm sticking by it. Of course Anna Kendrick is amazing and everything, but there's no going past Fat Amy in this flick. I'm not going to spoiler alert anything for you, but my favourite scene was totally when she got her own mega musical ballad, and just a warning, it was epic.












Luckily, everyone else in the cast was awesome also. Newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, who I feared was going to be annoying, was actually a really nice addition to the Bellas. Her character was quirky and awkward which is always fun, and it ensured that the whole fresh ingenue dynamic we got from Beca in the last film was back in full force. You could tell that everyone was really glad to be back on set, which really helped to enhance the aca-awesome experience, and had all the audience leaving the cinemas like:


















Overall, if you haven't already got the picture, I highly suggest you see this film. If you're a fan of the first one, you won't be disappointed, and even if you're not, just go and see it anyway. I assure you, if you put any preconceptions you may have aside, you are totally guaranteed to love this movie. Honestly, the only negative I can find is that the spectacularly talented Spring Awakening alum Skylar Astin who plays Jesse wasn't in 'Pitch Perfect 2' nearly as much as the first one, which really is disappointing. But have no fear, because aside from that, there really isn't anything to fault. And who knows, maybe to make up for this imbalance, the next film will totally revolve around the Treblemakers? One can only hope.











Well that's pretty much all I have for you. Please, if you walk away from this with anything, I urge you to get yourself some tickets and go check out the film in cinemas for yourself. Prepare to get pitch slapped my friends! Til' next time . . .

Annabel xx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I'm really glad you liked it! So happy you're a fan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really amazed on seeing the way the reviews has been presented to the people in the world. Really mind blowing way of review done by the Annabel McConnachie. Hats off for your wonderful work, myself christinepace working as a research paper writer in one of the leading custom written research paper writing service website for the past 5 years.On reading this review, i wish to learn the art of reviewing. Would you please teach me the art of reviewing for me. I am eagerly waiting for your reply Annabel McConnachie

    ReplyDelete